Geert's WWW Corner
- Personal Info
WARNING: Don't press this picture again ...
You were warned, however ...
(more like an addiction, actually :-) )
Languages (in more or less chronological order):
- Basic (Brrrrrrrrggghrghghgh!)
(since 1984) on the good old Commodore 64 ... and later also on the Amiga
- MC680x0 assembler/machine language (since 1990)
- OPL (Organiser Programming Language;
a kind of Basic-derivate)
- C course (Dutch)
- Amiga, PC:
Due to the advent of Java, my dislike of wintel PC's and the braking down of my
trusty little Amiga 600, it's rather silent in this area nowadays ...
- HP 48:
(since 1993) Unfortunately, the LCD display of my HP is severely damaged ...
- Java (since 1996).
I've written an IDE for the java compiler and debugger called Jedi,
in Java itself of course. Still beta, but working nicely.
If you're interested, mail me and ask for a copy.
Also in the pipeline is a train game
and a math program.
Astronomy program (heavily under construction)
A 3D-image processing program is also coming up.
- Some of my projects:
A multiple choice applet for some work group at the university (i guess
they call it something like population sciences, but don't shoot if i'm wrong :-) )
Survey software for the location and layout of the new student home to be built
Database program in which all student rooms approved by the university can be accessed and updated over the Internet
E-Card program for a (meanwhile closed) exhibit of the Central Library of the University of Ghent
- Word with Schamper Extensions to HTML
conversion program for Schamper,
the local student's magazine
- HP Calculators
(and having a good laugh at TI/Casio junk ... :-) )
Maths (Of course!)
(deze pagina staat hier vooral voor de Rubiks Kubus links ...)
- Group theory
(this page is mainly there for its Rubik's Cube links ...)
- Douglas Adams: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
If you've read the original poem Jabberwocky and you know also
something about computers, you really should have a look at
- Roald Dahl
and most of all I like J.S.Bach.
On my computer, I sometimes create
something, and once in a while I play ... er ... ``music'' on my synthesizer.
(Luckily enough (for the neighbours) I use headphones ...)
My singing is also reasonably ``good'' ... :-)
- GSM: (+32) 0496/20.14.60
- Other (un)important miscellania
- Nov 23 '74 Waaa, waaa, etc. etc.
- 198x-'92 Latin-Greek (???!) (at SMI-Aalst)
- 1992-'93 extra year mathematics (at St-Amandus, Ghent)
- 1993-'94 1st year civil engineer
- 1994-'95 1st year mathematics
- 1995: KNOR
member (Coordinating Network Organ RUG)
- July 1995: Zeus WPI member
(Amiga FTP Administrator)
- 1995-'96 2nd year mathematics
- Oct '95: member Mathematics Education Board (student representative) (*hm*, *hm*)
- Feb 22 '96: secretary of Zeus WPI
- 1996-'97: Webmaster of WINA
- 1996-'98 3rd year mathematics
- Dec 18 '96: ``vice'' (how do you say that in English?) of Zeus WPI
- 1997-'98 4th year mathematics
- 1998-'99 Webmaster and secretary of WINA
- 1998-'99 Secretary of Zeus WPI
- 1998-'99 Secretary of the Workgroup Astronomy
- 1998-'99 1st+2nd year informatics
- December 15, 1998: 2nd place on the programming contest of the
Workgroup Computing Sciences
- Aug '99-?? System Administrator at the Department of Pure Mathematics and Computer Algebra
at the University of Ghent
- 2000-??: Manual service Zeus ZPI
- 2002-??: member of the ATP (Administrative and Technical Personnel)-workgroup of the Faculty of Sciences
- july 13 2002: married the first hobby above
- Sept 2003: secretary of the ATP-workgroup of the Faculty of Sciences
- Jan 17 '04 Waaa, waaa, etc. etc.
- Oct 2004: member of the facilty council of the Faculty of Sciences
- Jun 28 '06 Waaa, waaa, etc. etc.
- 1999--2008: Ph.D. in mathematics
- Apr 28 '09 Waaa, waaa, etc. etc.
- Courses, talks
- On January 3rd 2001 I did a talk about firewalls with OpenBSD and one about clusters with Mosix for the sysadmins of the Ghent University.
- C programming (Dutch): from the first edition in 1997 with 174 pages, the C tutorial has grown to 270 pages in the third edition in 2000.
In 2003 and in 2005, I tought three sessions about programming in C for Zeus WPI.
- Begin 2003 I wrote and taught a piece of a course GNU/Linux for schools
- On November 17th 2003 I did a talk together with Filip Rooms for the student's Astronomy Workgroup about astronomy in general.
- On December 9th 2004 I did a talk with Jan De Beule about Mosix for the VSP.
- On November 11th 2005, I co-organised a symposium about blade servers and high performance computing.
- Type speed: about 5 characters/second (under ideal circumstances)
- TeX/LaTeX compatibility: standard built-in
Hardware specifications (simplified diagram)
If you spot bugs or inaccuracies, please contact me.
(Wouldn't surprise me, since I'm (clearly) a prototype)
according to the
European IQ-test: 162.
If you believe this IQ test, I won't comment about your IQ :-)
Some other people think otherwise,
Also note that this test only measures IQ's up to 174 :-)
(Emotional IQ): 60 (``Emotionally disadvantaged'') OK, nobody's perfect, but actually being told by a machine ... :-)
You probably have got a heart attack by now ...
There are three ways in which you can loose your money:
women, gambling and engineers. The first two of these are
the most pleasant, but the last one is the most certain.